November 26, 2015
Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate today. I'm in New Jersey gorging myself with delicious vegan food (yes, vegans can enjoy Thanksgiving). There's a lot to be thankful for this year especially with the tragic events unfolding all over the world. Definitely looking forward to a long weekend and good food. Hope you're enjoying the long weekend as well!
November 24, 2015
I love me a bold brow. I often get compliments on my brows and asked how I fill them in since they look natural. I go back 'n forth between powder and mousse depending on the look I want to achieve so I thought I'd show you the two options.
November 23, 2015
Last weekend I strolled through Central Park with Alex to appreciate the fall beauty before the seasons changed. Us New Yorkers rarely ever take the time to stroll the Central Park (mostly because of tourists) but it is amazing to have such a quiet place in this bustling city. I also thought it was great opportunity to recreate the Adele "Hello" music video minus Michael Lee from The Wire (real name: Tristan "Mack" Wilds - look him up!).
November 20, 2015
1. Lauren B. Nail Polishes - I have a few of these and I love them. They're high quality products. "The brush is packed with twice the standard amount of bristles, all pre-lacquered so your polish glides on smoothly and streak-free. The bottle has a special over-cap, so you can use a square or cylindrical handle for more control. Bonus: Each formula is eco- and vegan-friendly (with no formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, DBP, toluene or camphor), and proudly made in the USA."
2. Josie Maran Whimsical Wonder Whipped Argan Oil Skincare Essentials - "Josie’s beloved 100% Pure Argan Oil is whipped to perfection in this trio of indulgent body butters." It features a travel version of the top sellers. Josie Maran is sure to please all ages!
3. Cheeky makeup bags - There have been so many cute makeup bags popping up with cheeky sayings. Sephora has a few for you to choose from or Etsy is always a great option.
5. Molton Brown - Molton Brown is a luxurious brand that is worth the price tag. Never met a Molton Brown product I didn't love. They have tons of wonderful gift sets. I keep a bottle of the Coco & Sandalwood lotion by my desk.
6. DHC Deep Cleansing Oil® - This is one of my must have beauty products. I buy it for everyone and create new fans each year.
7. Freeman's Beauty Mask - These are great masks to toss in a stocking or tie to your gift. They're only a dollar at your local drugstore and come in a variety.
8. Elizabeth Arden perfume - I get so many compliments when I wear Elizabeth Arden's ALWAYS RED perfume. It is fruity but also sophisticated. Now there's a lotion form so definitely worth picking up a duo set of the person's favorite perfume.
Disclosure: This product features products sent to me for review. All opinions expressed are my own.
November 19, 2015
1. Thank You notes - I really appreciate when someone gets me paper items. 'Thank You' notes especially because I can then go ahead use them to send out thank you notes to those who gave me gifts! You really can't go wrong with Rifle Paper Co. All their products are gorgeous!
2. Something sweet - If they're a foodie or you know their favorite treats, then a cute package from Sugarwish™ could be the perfect fit. The Petite Sugarwish™ has four 4 oz bags so it is the perfect "little something” for 1 person. There's a wide variety of candies to choose from. My sister quite enjoyed it when I sent her one (especially since she was preggers at the time).
3. Gifts that give back - Don't forget to give back this holiday season. Buying a gift that gives back is definitely a great option. Life is Good's Espresso Yourself Journal is not only fun and cheeky but Life is Good donates 10% of their net proceeds to kids in need.
4. Gift sets - Who doesn't love adorable packaging? I always enjoy items packaged in ornaments like Le Couvent des Minimes Sparkling Hand Cream Duo featuring 1) 1 Aimable Hand Cream, laced with fresh, sweet-smelling Orange Blossom, this light, non-sticky hydrator helps soften and moisturize dry hands, while Shea Butter helps protect and nourish; 2) 1 Matines Hand Cream, a botanical blend that drenches hands in moisture, leaving them feeling hydrated and comforted but not sticky or slick and features notes of fresh Orange and Basil.
5. Gift cards - When in doubt - get a gift card! Starbucks gift cards are among the most popular gift cards so don't feel ashamed. I know many people appreciate these versus receiving a not so great gift. Give me all the Sephora gift cards!!!
Also, see my sister's recommendations for "White Elephant" gift ideas!
November 18, 2015
1. Red Wing boots - These boots have a cult following (especially among hipsters) because they're made with real leather and are sturdy as hell. Definitely worth the investment if you never want to buy another pair of shoes again.
2. Colorful socks - Up your man's sock game with these East Dane socks. They can show off their personality with bright, bold prints.
4. Tech gadget - Boys like their toys. Moto watches (short for Motorola) sync up with with your iOS or Android device and look like a sleek watch (not a chunky bracelet). A great option for the tech lover in your life.
5. Amazon Echo - I've heard really great reviews about this product even from the most particular gadget fans. And now Oprah has ordained it as one of her favorite items!
What are you buying the man in your life this holiday season?
November 17, 2015
My sister at My Constant Chaos, a busy mom of three boys, shares her gift guide for moms!
1. Travel coffee mug. Because for most moms out there, coffee = life. Even if they aren't into coffee, this beautiful mug works for tea too! And it also gives you a confidence boost in the early morning, or the afternoon, or whenever you need it. It cuts back on the disposable coffee trash that we are all guilty of, so it's environmentally responsible. This travel mug is from Anthropologie and they also have several other non-travel mugs that are just as gorgeous, and less pricey.
2. A reusable tote. For the lunchtime grocery store run, the after-work Target run, the mad dash to soccer practice, or the daily dash to grab 'one more thing' from any store- reusable totes are a great way to carry your items in style, and are great for the environment. I saw this at Kate Spade polka dot tote at Nordstrom, and there were a variety of other totes - "Treat Yourself" in hot pink is another option! So cute.
3. Personalized jewelry. I have a ring with my three boys' names on it, with hearts in between. I LOVE IT! My sister designed it for me, and worked with the jewelry genius Christie Martin. You can purchase her items on Etsy, her shop is called christienano. The ring that I have is called the "Say Anything Ring" because you can customize it however you would like, birth dates, anniversary date, etc. Very personal, and I wear mine every day!
4. Flavor Infusing Water Bottle. This is a great way to naturally flavor your water. You can try all kinds of different combinations- berries, citrus, mint, cucumbers, etc. This bottle is made of glass, so it reduces our dependence on plastic water bottles. It fits perfectly in cup holders, and even looks nice on your desk at the office. This bottle helps encourage a higher consumption of water during the day, and that is great for busy moms. We need to hydrate with all the coffee (and wine) that we drink! The water bottle below can be found at Uncommon Goods, which is a great shop to look for unique gifts.
5. A cozy throw. Pottery Barn has a variety of cozy throws to choose from, including several faux fur blankets to snuggle up with on the couch on a cold winter night. The options pictured below are machine washable, so they are still practical. These make me want to build a fire, and cozy up on the couch.
Those are a few of my ideas for 'mom gifts', and there's always gift cards! It's all about presentation, so put a gift card in a cute package. You could put a Sephora gift card in a cute cosmetic bag, for example!
November 16, 2015
Holiday shopping season has begun! All week long I'll be sharing gift ideas for every one in your life. From the beauty addict, to the busy mom, to your coworkers. Let's start off with the fashionista in your life. They can prove the most difficult for some with their particular tastes. Here are my recommendations:
1. Standout headwear - Beanies are a big trend and especially those that make a statement. MyTee B.A.D.'s Studs and Skulls grey beanie definitely makes you standout. I get lots of compliments when I wear mine! Use code "BGKIM15" to enjoy 15% off.
2. Ladylike flats - Flats are back in a big way from the lace-up ballerina style to the studded style that give a little edge to a look. You can dress them up, wear to work or dress them down on the weekend with a pair of jeans.
3. Sassy tees - A big trend among fashionistas right now are t-shirts with a graphic sassy statement. We can all thank Beyonce. Everyone loves my 'Nope' shirt (unfortunately it's sold out) but there are plenty to fit the fashionista in your life.
4. Sturdy tote - Every woman needs a sturdy tote bag to carry their every day items. This two-toned Lulu's tote bag is vegan leather and sure to fit your laptop as you go to class or work. The nude and black make it a neutral that works year round.
5. Statement headphones - Headphones have become the hot new accessory. These Taylor Rose Gold & White headphones make a chic statement while you blast your favorite tunes.
What will you buying the fashionista in your life?
November 13, 2015
Looking for some new shows to watch? I've been enjoying some new series. I'm still watching my October picks (although I'm catching up on the weekends so no live tweeting). Here are my thoughts on new shows that premiered this month:
November 12, 2015
This month's Birchbox was all about the upcoming holidays. I opted not to go with the editor's box as I wasn't a fan of the products available. In a shocker I received almost all new brands that I haven't received in past boxes. "The holiday festivities are on the horizon, and there's a chill in the air - what reasons to spend a little more time pampering and polishing? This month is all about making space for those moments. Slather on that luxe face mask, try out that new hairstyle for date night, and head into the most wonderful (and hectic) season feeling your best." Here's what I received: