I received a special issue of InStyle Hair which included this terrific article about eating your way to healthier hair. Your hair requires a steady dose of protein, vitamins, minerals and oils to keep it looking it's best. They key to shinier locks can be found at your local super market. The 10 super foods for healthier hair are:
1. Wild Salmon - It is high in protein which is one of the primary building blocks for hair, it also has scalp-healthy omega-3 fatty acids along with B vitamins 6 and 12, which produce red blood cells to carry oxygen to your hair follicles. You should eat 4 - 5 ounces, 2 - 3 times per week.
3. Flax seeds - Flax seeds are rich in lignans, plant-derived chemicals that act as antioxidants. They're also a great source of hair-nourishing omega-3 fatty acids. Just a warning: these have no taste! My parents put it on their oatmeal (I find it hard to eat). You should have have 1 1/2 tablespoons a day.
4. Lentils - Lentils provide three important B vitamins - biotin, folate and B6 - as well as protein, iron and zinc, which is a potent anti-inflammatory. You should have 1 cup, 3 - 4 times a week.
5. Kale - Kale is rich in folate which is an essential B vitamin that replenishes hair cells. Kale also contains iron and key minerals like magnesium and zinc. You should have 2 cups a day.
6. Olive oil - Olive oil contains polyphenols, which helps control inflammation that damages hair follicles. Olive oil is also rich in healthy fats. This is probably one of the best known and popular choice for healthy hair (and skin). You should have 1 tablespoon a day.
7. Grass-fed beef - Beef provides the most iron of any food. Why grass-fed over traditional grain-fed? It's considered nutritionally superior with a high ratio of good to bad fats. You should have 4 ounces a week.
8. Quinoa - It is loaded with biotin, a B-complex vitamin that is known for strengthening weak hair. You should have 3/4 cups a day. There were lots of delicious recipes on Pinterest.
10. Walnuts - Walnuts are a great source of zinc and fatty acids. They are high in calories so be sure to limit yourself. You should have 1/4 cups a day.
What foods or vitamins do you eat for healthier hair?
Original Image Source