I don't think of myself as a travel expert. I haven't been out of the country in years, although I did travel a lot in high school and college. Now, instead of long jaunts to exotic places I often take short weekend trips with friends. Apparently I do this more than the average young professional - who would have thought? For instance, this coming weekend I have a trip to Washington, DC planned last month I was in Stowe, VT.
Many friends tend to pack WAY too much for three days away. After much practice I have it down to a science. Here are the essentials for spending a weekend away:
- A pair of jeans. Your most versatile pair - the ones that can be dressed up and dressed down. The comfortable ones that you don't mind spending time in.
- Two pairs of shoes. With two pairs you should be ready for a Saturday brunch and Friday night out on the town.
- Travel-sized products. No sense in carrying around your large bottle of shampoo, body wash, facial cleanser etc. I own little 3oz bottles from Target and just refill them when needed.
- A classic top or two. Again think of things that can easily go from day to night. The items you don't have to worry about much.
- A sweatshirt. I know this isn't super classy but usually at some point on these whirlwind trips you just want to hunker down with friends for a glass of wine and a movie. Might as well be super comfy while doing that.
- A few pieces of jewelry. Think of things that can be paired with your jeans and tops to dress up the outfit. This is the chance to step-up a look. Plus think too of things that are easy to transport and compact.
- Pajamas. I suppose that's a given, but it's the one thing I usually tend to forget when I am packing fast.
- Basic makeup. I never bring my whole retinue while traveling. Instead I go with the basics and in small quantities. My favorite lipstick, a eyeshadow compact with a few colors, mascara, powder foundation and I'm done.
Come check out ModlyChic for more of my thoughts on fashion, style, travel and just life in general.