July 19, 2012
7 Beginner Beauty Products for Newbies
I sadly didn't start to develop a set beauty routine until after college. No one told me what I needed to be doing. It wasn't until I became more involved in the blogging community and made some beauty blogger friends who were like "Kim, we must teach you!" and took me under their wings. I was committing all the sins: not taking all my makeup off, not washing my face before bed, not putting moisturizer on, not wearing sunblock. It's amazing that my skin survived. As you get older your skincare needs will change but if you're just starting out, I highly recommend these items:
1. Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. This is the best bang for your buck in terms of masks. Definitely as you get older and skin starts to change, you should upgrade but this is a great starter mask.
2. Eye makeup remover. Never sleep with your eye makeup (or makeup) on ever! I trust Johnson's baby oil but always look for one that removes waterproof mascara like Neutrogena's.
3. Oil-free lotion. You don't want a facial lotion that will clog your pores so look for oil-free. I stuck with Cetaphil my whole life until I recently converted to Simple.
4. Sunblock. Well this should be a staple in everyone's makeup bag. Period. You definitely want to start young to protect your skin. SPF makeup is not enough!
5. Smoky eye palette. Every girl should learn how to do a smoky eye - it's a very flattering look. Sephora sells great palettes that have easy instructions to follow and include all the necessary items to create a smoky eye look.
6. e.l.f. makeup. Or any other cheap-o makeup brand. Most of e.l.f's products are just a dollar. It's a great way to play with colors and do makeup tutorials to see what works on you before purchasing more expensive products.
7. Concealer. Ladies, invest in a good concealer! It will be your best friend for life. You want one that is a shade or two lighter than your skin so as to act like a highlighter for under eyes or sometimes even on your eyelids to help you look more awake. I love Benefit's Boi-ing concealer.