Blush and Beakers shared her thoughts from the event. Enjoy!
As a young woman in her twenties in the working world it's important to know that first impressions are important and your appearance matters. To take it a step further for those of us with plans on climbing the corporate ladder, we don't jwant to just look nice, we want to have "executive presence." Last week Marie Claire and Ann Taylor held a great event in New York City with the same theme. Marie Claire's editors gave tips on professional dress. They also had professionals on hand to look over anyone's LinkedIn profile, photographers to take professional head shots, as well as makeup artists from Elizabeth Arden giving tips on professional makeup. Due to the crowds I was only able to get a LinkedIn Profile consultation. Here are the tips I received:
- you should have a summary explaining your intentions
- at least 150 connections
- a picture in professional attire
- it's there to showcase all of your working experience so feel free to put everything. Actual physical résumé can be more specific
1. Clothes need to fit. Don't be afraid to go to a tailor.
2. Know your body shape.
3. Choose the right undergarments: no panty lines allowed; wear Spanx if u have to (my personal tip).
4. Need to wear appropriate work makeup.
5. Keep your nails neat and trimmed.
6. Professional doesn't mean boring. Don't be afraid to add pops of color.